Sunday, December 9, 2012

Day Six - Part I - Back with old friends

Today in Sibanga we were able to enjoy time with Justus Arani and his family. We met Justus back when we opened the Watergate Cyber Café (internet café) about three years ago. The WCC has not necessarily been as profitable as we might have hoped but I look back on all the things we have learned through this valuable experience and realize it was never really about building a successful cyber cafe. I am very glad that we have gotten to know Justus on a personal level and not just on the business level. As we have worked through the challenges of the WCC I have come to know this young man and see his integrity and desire to do what is right. Justus is a very hard worker. He is working to make the most of his computer training as well as be a provider for his wife and family.
Justus, his wife Rhoda and their three year old Valerie will celebrate their Sabbath tomorrow. Their church may look slightly different than mine but God is the center of our lives. This gives me great joy to have this as the common focus of our relationship. This has opened up many great conversations together. Today he was asking me about how it is in the United States and why things seem so confused with our government. As we talked he asked me basically what satisfaction I get from coming to Kenya. I shared with him that what Kenya teaches me is the importance of being content with what God has given me. It is very much human nature to want what is better, bigger, shinier and most current. And when I can’t have these things I might feel denied. When I come here I realize first how blessed I am to have simple things like hot water and on demand electricity. These are not things I am entitled to but things I am blessed with. That reminds me that what is more important than having these things is my attitude. Why should I be unhappy because I think I need something more. If I can simply be content with all God has provided me, my life can be much more satisfying.
So today I got to know ‘old’ friends a little better. We shared our struggles, our joy, our interest in each others lives, encouragement, a meal and the giggles of three year old who is just excited to see Dawn and Ellen……… and to be content with where God has us now.

No comments:

Post a Comment